Economy, economic, economics
Study the following rules relating to the various forms of the word ‘economy’.
- Economy is a countable noun, and like any other countable noun it needs a determiner (usually an article and/or ‘s’).
- Economy may be modified, but it always has a determiner:
- the Indonesian economy
- a healthy economy
- healthier economies
- Economic is an adjective and so it can modify a noun.
- economic adviser
- economic reasons
- economic activity
- When I say the economy, I’m usually talking about the economy of my own country.
- Economics is a noun. It can be (a) an academic discipline, (b) a broad professional area, and (c) a discussion topic:
- Edi studied economics at university.
- If I’m a teacher, I work in education. A doctor works in health. An economist is someone who works in economics.
- Let’s not discuss economics. It’s so boring!
- The noun economics can be used to pre-modify another noun:
- ..good economics faculties in Australia.
- Indonesians often write “I studied economy.” But they mean “I studied economics.”
Now test your understanding of the rules!
Answers here, but only if you're really stuck!