Technology makes people rely themselves on instruments.
In this sentence, themselves is described by grammarians as a ‘reflexive pronoun’. Reflexive pronouns are used when the object of a sentence is the same as the subject. For example:
However, verbs like rely and depend, do not require reflexive pronouns:
- Many small companies rely on college students.
- A cloud database relies on cloud technology.
- Economic success ultimately depends on private firms.
- Heat dissipation depends on body surface area.
Returning to our opening example, we need:
- Technology makes people rely on instruments.
Indonesians need to take care when translating “menggantungkan diri pada..”