The flight will be departed from gate 3 in ten minutes. Please proceed to the boarding lounge.
This is gramatically correct, although an English speaker would almost certainly use active voice:
- The flight will depart from gate 3 in ten minutes.
In English the past participle ‘departED’ can mean ‘died and gone to heaven’ (hence the accompanying featured image)!
There are several verbs that in Bahasa Indonesia are often used in the passive where in English they would be either active or some other word form would be used.
‘Depart’ is one example. Others include ‘start’ and ‘complete’:
- The program will be started at 7 o’clock.
- The program will start at 7 o’clock.
- The new model is completed with Internet connectivity.
- The new model is complete with Internet connectivity.
(‘complete’ – adjective)
There doesn’t seem to be any logical explanation for these differences. It’s just something to be aware of. If you can think of any other examples, please add them to the comments below!