Have you every tried knitting? Basket-weaving? Working with wood? Well perhaps you should! Find out why craft can be good for you by completing today’s summary and at the same time get some useful IELTS reading practice!
- Click the button to open the reading passage and skim read the text.
- Fill gaps in the text with words or phrases from the blue box. There are more items than gaps.
- Click (or touch) 'Check your answers'.
- Feedback colours: Correct - Incorrect - Not answered
- After checking answers you can click highlighted words in the answer key. The reading passage will open with corresponding language highlighted.
- This activity includes 15 questions.
An emerging antidote to stress in the modern world can be found in . Some psychologists believe that craft practices can help us to achieve a state of that can be . Certain therapies have been successfully employed to help war veterans to overcome the stresses of war. These included knitting and , among others. Recent research has focused on the benefits of in particular, showing that people who engage in this activity feel happier, less , and better able to solve problems. Another crafting activity that carries similar benefits is , which is reportedly able to improve the of older people. Similar benefits are achievable through more male activities such as woodworking, repair and general . Craft makes us feel good because even though it is potentially a activity, it can also help to create connections. In fact this choice - whether to act alone or together with others - is one of the of craft practice. Research into the effects of craft is still , but it seems clear that craft can improve for those who practice it.