Scientists fear that Antarctica is melting. But did you know that Antarctica was once warm enough to support forests, and that Dinosaurs lived there? Read and find out all about it, and at the same time try some IELTS reading summary completion!
- Click the button to open the reading passage and skim read the text.
- Fill gaps in the text with words or phrases from the blue box. There are more items than gaps.
- Click (or touch) 'Check your answers'.
- Feedback colours: Correct - Incorrect - Not answered
- After checking answers you can click highlighted words in the answer key. The reading passage will open with corresponding language highlighted.
- This activity includes 13 questions.
Scientists believe that during the Period of Earth’s history, dinosaurs Antarctica. At least this is what they have deduced based on data derived from the of trees and reptiles, and also from the of fossilised ocean organisms called foraminifera. The forminera, for example, allow scientists to establish the of the oceans during the Cretaceous Period, because the forminera existed both in the ocean’s , and also closer to the surface. By studying these creatures, scientists found that sea temperatures at the time were high, probably because of activity and a consequent global increase in levels of CO2. The question now is whether Antarctica might become again. Scientists believe that the region will take a long time to , even though humans are producing much larger amounts of CO2 than . However, they are already seeing that Antarctica will eventually deglaciate. When this eventually happens, there will not be any , but the Earth will be a very different place.