According to data, 40.49 % of palm oil productions are from small farm owners.
The plural form of production collocates strongly with film and theatre:
- Medieval theatre productions are still performed today.
- The earliest sound effects were strictly studio productions.
- These productions alternate between musicals and plays.
Meanwhile, the uncountable form of production collocates with manufacturing:
- No gold production has been reported since 1951.
- The project was shelved before full production was achieved.
- Another factor affecting production was industry competition.
Our opening statement refers more to manufacturing than to theatre, and so we need:
- According to data, 40.49 % of palm oil production is from small farm owners.
Older workers have built expertise to enable them coping with unusual circumstances.
With help + obj and enable + obj you need to + V1:
- Older workers have built expertise to enable them to cope with unusual circumstances.
- Older workers have built expertise to help them to cope with unusual circumstances.
And that’s all folks!
Governments in many countries rely on bailout as the most preferred policy in a situation perceived as crisis.
Here an Indonesian writer feels a strong urge to write most as a translation of the Indonesian paling. However in English this is redundant as the ‘preferred’ choice is already the ‘most’ liked:
- Governments in many countries rely on bailout as the preferred policy in a situation perceived as crisis.
Similarly, it would be redundant to write ‘more prefer’:
In this case you need:
And that’s all for today!
Do you find studying stressful? Match the headings and read tips about how to control stress as a student!
The text features the word stress 23 times. Indonesians should pay careful attention to the words surrounding stress, or words that ‘collocate‘ with stress. You might also want to take a look at this earlier post dealing with stress. Continue reading
A version of hangman featuring words from the Academic Word List (AWL), and a built-in homework activity for anyone who needs the practice. Continue reading
To help you with your academic vocabulary Pak Guru has chosen an academic word from the dictionary. Continue reading
These days more women are entering technical professions but they are still far outnumbered by men. Computing scientist Talia Gershon believes this is partly due to unconscious biases. Watch the video and then reconstruct what Talia says. Continue reading
Simply reading and re-reading the things you need to remember for an exam may not be the best way to retain information. Match headings to more tried-and-tested methods of exam preparation! Continue reading
There have been a lot of earthquakes recently, including this one on Japan’s Hokkaido island. Current news stories – although often tragic – are full of interesting grammar as they include past and finished, recently finished, as well as ongoing events and situations. See if you can choose the correct tenses from the news coverage. Continue reading
It looks as though people are soon going to be living longer lives thanks to advances in medicine and healthier lifestyles. Discuss the questions with a friend and decide whether you agree or disagree. Then match the ideas with their owners. Continue reading