A version of hangman featuring words from the Academic Word List (AWL), and a built-in homework activity for anyone who needs the practice.
Remember to read the instructions carefully before you begin! ×
- Click or tap letters to reconstruct words taken from the academic word list.
- Click or tap 'Next word' to get another word.
- For each word you begin with 9 lives.
- After you have guessed 5 words correctly, you will be invited to write a text using those words.
- Alternatively you can reload the page and play again!
OK I understand
To help you with your academic vocabulary Pak Guru has chosen an academic word from the dictionary.
Can you guess what the word is?
Don't worry, Pak Guru will help you if your first guess is incorrect!
Type your guess in the field below and press 'ENTER'.
Disclaimer: I didn’t create the Academic Word List. That distinction goes to a lady called Averil Coxhead. And I know there are other sites offering academic word highlighting, but I need my own app because I’m planning to integrate the AWL with other @guruEAP posts and pages in the near future.
So, you wanna know how ‘academic’ your vocab is?
Type or paste some text into the field below, then click ‘Check for academic words!’ Continue reading