Do boys and girls benefit from being taught together? Richard Cairns, head of Brighton College, says ‘yes’, Helen Fraser, chief executive of the Girls’ Day School Trust, says ‘no’. Continue reading
The behaviours of ‘western’ and Indonesian businessmen eloquently discussed by George B. Whitfield, III.
- What advice would you give to foreign businessmen in Indonesia?!
- Is there a right and a wrong way for them to behave?
- Have you ever witnessed any ‘wrong’ behaviour? Comments below!
Fill in the gaps with words and phrases from the box. Then click ‘Check your answers!’ for feedback. (There are more words and phrases in the list than there are gaps!)
If you agree or disagree with any of the claims made by the writer, add a comment and let’s discuss! Continue reading
There has been much debate about how grammar should be taught and what age is the best age to study it. Before reading the text, consider these questions:
- Did you study grammar in school, and if so, did you enjoy it?
- How old were you when you first studied grammar?
- Do you think that was a good age to start?
- Is it better to study grammar separately from reading or just acquire it through listening and reading?
Now read the text and select suitable headings for each paragraph. Click ‘check your headings’ for feedback! If there are any ideas in the text that you agree or disagree with, add a comment and let’s discuss! Continue reading
Read about events at Mount Everest. Choose the correct verb forms by paying close attention to the surrounding grammar and signalling words. Continue reading
- Think about – or better still, chat to a friend – about the nature of work.
- What is work? Why do we work?
- If humans are replaced by machines in the workplace, what are we going to do with all our free time?
- Watch and listen to the video. Then attempt to reconstruct the text using the app below.
- Think about – or better still, chat to a friend – about consumerism. Why do we love shopping so much? ( Indonesians check out the difference between consumeristic and consumptive!)
- Watch the video and listen to what Robert Skidelsky has to say about consumerism.
- Then attempt to reconstruct what Skidelsky says using the app below. Watch the video again if necessary!
Do the winners of music competitions deserve to win?
Do we choose winners based on their musical performance or based on how they look? Continue reading