These days a lot of people like to use smartphones and tablets. Those are popular because they can connect to the Internet.
OK so our writer is using those as a substitute for smartphones and tablets. However, it would have been better to use these: Continue reading
Public-private collaboration in policy making requires a lot of efforts.
For Indonesians, effort is a word that often requires effort! This post will help you with your translations of upaya and usaha! Continue reading
Javorcik seems to be unaware of the ability of domestic companies to engage in improving their qualities.
Another countable / uncountable problem, folks! Let’s take a look at some examples of each and think about differences in meaning.
This might refer to a high or low standard or standards. For example in the featured image for this post we could evaluate the quality of the bicycle (professional quality).
- If you pay a lot of money for a product, you expect high quality.
- High grade components ensure professional audio quality.
- The high definition picture quality is stunning.
This is more about characteristic features. These may be personal, as in the qualities of the cyclist in our featured image (competitive, determined).
- The relationship displays antagonistic yet loving qualities.
- The team are demonstrating great leadership qualities.
- He has such wonderful qualities deep down.
Characteristic features may also be material, as in the hat worn by our cyclist (comfortable, protective) and the bicycle itself (light, fast).
- Every object around us has magnetic qualities.
- A unique quality of the spider’s web is its strength.
- They do not know how to distinguish with their senses the various qualities of different substances.
I think our writer was talking about the former meaning, in other words quality (uncountable) with reference to a standard that can be either high or low:
- Javorcik seems to be unaware of the ability of domestic companies to engage in improving their quality.
Foreign companies offer more added values to products or services.
Sorry folks, but this is another countable / uncountable problem.
These are often readings taken from a measuring device and can be represented as a number.
- The laser powers mentioned are typical values.
- Values between 0 and 1 are reasonable.
- This height estimation service returns real height values.
Otherwise they might be moral or social values.
- A multiracial society creates common values between religions.
- I still live by those values today.
- We explore humanist values and train future leaders.
This is used to measure the worth of a thing either with reference to its exchange value, represented in terms of money..
- Paper currency is money without intrinsic value.
- The estimated value is $27 million.
..or to its use value, represented in terms of its non-monetary use to us.
- One early finding has immediate practical value.
- Their life has not much value here.
- Nothing of value is accomplished without effort.
I’m fairly sure that in our opening example the writer is talking about the exchange value of products and services, and so he or she needs the uncountable form of value:
- Foreign companies offer more added value to products or services.
A variety of arguments have been put forward to discuss about the difference between a linear economy and a circular economy.
Let’s see what netspeak.org has to say about discuss and talk:
As you can see, talk is often followed by about, but discuss is never followed by about!
- Today I’m going to discuss about unemployment.
- Today I’m going to talk about unemployment.
- Today I’m going to discuss unemployment.
Hope that helps!
According to data, 40.49 % of palm oil productions are from small farm owners.
The plural form of production collocates strongly with film and theatre:
- Medieval theatre productions are still performed today.
- The earliest sound effects were strictly studio productions.
- These productions alternate between musicals and plays.
Meanwhile, the uncountable form of production collocates with manufacturing:
- No gold production has been reported since 1951.
- The project was shelved before full production was achieved.
- Another factor affecting production was industry competition.
Our opening statement refers more to manufacturing than to theatre, and so we need:
- According to data, 40.49 % of palm oil production is from small farm owners.
Older workers have built expertise to enable them coping with unusual circumstances.
With help + obj and enable + obj you need to + V1:
- Older workers have built expertise to enable them to cope with unusual circumstances.
- Older workers have built expertise to help them to cope with unusual circumstances.
And that’s all folks!
Governments in many countries rely on bailout as the most preferred policy in a situation perceived as crisis.
Here an Indonesian writer feels a strong urge to write most as a translation of the Indonesian paling. However in English this is redundant as the ‘preferred’ choice is already the ‘most’ liked:
- Governments in many countries rely on bailout as the preferred policy in a situation perceived as crisis.
Similarly, it would be redundant to write ‘more prefer’:
In this case you need:
And that’s all for today!
A version of hangman featuring words from the Academic Word List (AWL), and a built-in homework activity for anyone who needs the practice. Continue reading
There have been a lot of earthquakes recently, including this one on Japan’s Hokkaido island. Current news stories – although often tragic – are full of interesting grammar as they include past and finished, recently finished, as well as ongoing events and situations. See if you can choose the correct tenses from the news coverage. Continue reading