There will be many disadvantages for human if animal testing is stopped.
If we check in a dictionary, we see that human can be an adjective and it can be a noun. In this example human is used as a noun.
If we check again in the dictionary, we see that human is a countable noun. In grammar, we know that if we’re talking about all examples of a thing, everywhere, and the thing is countable, then we must add an ‘s’ to the noun:
- There will be many disadvantages for humans if animal testing is stopped.
Mistakes are often made when human is used as a noun modifier, in which case the ‘s’ might be added to the main noun:
- There will be many disadvantages for human beings if animal testing is stopped.
Can you identify examples of human used as a noun, and human used as a noun modifier? Add them to the comments below :).
In Australia I will need a lot of budget because I have to buy many things.
First of all budget is countable, and since you’ve written ‘a lot of’, then there should be an ‘s’ on budget. But there’s another problem. Budget has 2 meanings that are potentially useful in this situation:
1. Budget as a sum of money that has been set aside for a particular purpose:
In Australia I will need a large budget because I have to buy many things.
2. Budget as a document containing a list of items:
In Australia there will be many items on my budget, and so I will need a lot of money.
In both of these examples..
- budget is a singular countable noun
- ‘large’ collocates with budget
- ‘item(s)’ collocates with budget (don’t forget the preposition ‘on’)
- as a singular countable noun, budget requires some kind of determiner (article, possessive, etc.)
Often students who are preparing for IELTS feel they have to do everything to avoid repetition, and so they use budget instead of ‘money’. However, budget is not synonymous with ‘money’. When you’re talking about money and comparing how much things cost, it’s safer to use words like ‘money’, ‘cheap’, ‘expensive’, etc.
Add a comment below and tell us about some of the items on your budget for study in Australia! 🙂
Most Indonesian people against the removal of fuel subsidies.
In English, against is a preposition, and so this sentence does not contain a verb and is therefore not a sentence. To make it a sentence, you can do this..
- Most Indonesian people are against the removal of fuel subsidies.
(to be + against)
or (slightly more academic) this..
- Most Indonesian people oppose the removal of fuel subsidies.
or (also academic) this..
- Most Indonesian people object to the removal of fuel subsidies.
Hope that helps!
In Australia there are many women receive the same salary as men.
A common mistake made by Indonesians is to include the ‘introductory subject’ (there is/there are) as well as
another subject, before the verb in a sentence.This might be possible in Bahasa Indonesia, but in English you must choose either
- In Australia many women receive the same salary as men.
(subject: many women)
- In Australia there are many women who receive the same salary as men.
(subject: there are)
Next time your head is telling you ‘ada..
‘, stop and ask yourself whether you really need to use there is/there are
. If you already have a subject, don’t use there is/there are
Unemployment is one of the most serious problems for the society today.
The problem here is that the society (with ‘the’) has quite a different meaning to society (without ‘the’).
If you’re talking about all of humanity as a collective, then you’re probably talking about society. In this case you’re probably thinking about the whole of the human race at a particular time, usually around now. If problems are faced by society (without ‘the’), then they are likely to be problems that all people face, either across an entire country, or possibly all over the world, and so in this case you need:
- Unemployment is one of the most serious problems for society today.
On the other hand if you’re talking about a specific group of people who have some kind of shared set of specific interests then you need the society. For example in this list of academic ‘societies’, group members relate to each other because they share the same academic interests. Similarly, universities often have societies devoted to particular hobbies or interests. In this case you might be writing something like:
- In our university the most popular society is the photographic society. The society has 600 members.
Notice that in this example, not only do we use ‘the’ to show that we are talking about a specific group, but we also use words to modify the word society so that our reader understands exactly which group we’re talking about (‘most popular’, ‘photographic’).
So, be careful next time you use society! And if you’re still not happy with this explanation, and you’re not afraid of distractions, you can check out society in a dictionary. Better still look at some sentences featuring society.
(cover photo: source)