Prevent Avoid Protect
Posted by pakguru on November 18th, 2017 | 0 comments | collocation, Indo English, lexis, LR, vocabulary
Indonesia should prevent its resources from the threat of bio-piracy.
Meaning can become distorted or even lost when you translate directly. In this case we have a direct translation of the Indonesian mencegah, which – in many situations – does indeed translate as prevent.
As usual, I strongly advise Indonesian scholars to forget about the grammar here and to think in terms of vocabulary, or lexis. The following lexical options are NOT possible in English:
- prevent + n + from + n (not __ing)
- avoid + n + from + n
Next we have the ‘good‘ structures. If you like you can click on prevent, protect, and avoid to see examples of these structures.
- prevent + n
- prevent + n + from + __ing
- protect + n
- protect + n + from + n
- avoid + n
So which structure is best for the bio-piracy example? Well, all are possible!
- Indonesia should prevent bio-piracy.
- Indonesia should prevent bio-piracy from occurring.
- Indonesia should protect its bio-diversity.
- Indonesia should protect itself from bio-piracy.
- Indonesia should avoid bio-piracy.
See also this post for further analysis of avoid.