Online abroad overseas
Posted by pakguru on November 30th, 2018 | 0 comments | adverbs, IELTS, speaking, vocabulary, writing
If we buy fresh food via online it will not be fresh by the time it arrives at our homes.
We say that we ‘go’ online, and so online feels like it’s a place, but it isn’t. It’s actually an adverb!
- This company is still selling equipment online.
- (Affects the verb ‘selling’)
- The current monthly construction update is available online.
- (Affects the verb ‘is’)
- It’s impossible to go online when the network is down.
- (Affects the verb ‘go’)
The same is true of abroad and overseas.
- It has nine permanent diplomatic missions overseas.
- (Affects the verb ‘has’)
- The school undertakes biennial music tours abroad.
- (Affects the verb ‘undertakes’)
- Parents like their children to study abroad and so they can apply for scholarships.
- (Affects the verb ‘study’)
You can shop online (not at online), you can study abroad (not in abroad), and you can live overseas (not in overseas)!