Posted by pakguru on December 6th, 2018 | 0 comments | beda dengan, challenge, compare contrast, idioms, IELTS, speaking, writing
Physical stores are faced with additional running costs. Different with online stores that can operate on a small budget.
This post includes two challenges (below)! First read through the explanation, then check your understanding by completing one or both of the recommended tasks!
This is a direct translation from Bahasa Indonesia (and other languages?). However, it’s a classic opportunity to use unlike to make a contrast.
Unlike can be a synonym for different from. ( Not different with!)
- Physical stores are faced with additional running costs, unlike online stores that can operate on a small budget.
- Unlike online stores that can operate on a small budget, physical stores are faced with additional running costs.
Notice that the following structures are possible:
- independent clause + comma + unlike + noun phrase
- unlike + noun phrase + comma + independent clause
Try to contrast items in one of the following pairs using unlike. Post your texts in the comments box below!
- your country / another country
- your language / English
- two family members
- two styles of music
- two leisure activities
Can anyone guess which idiom is contained in the title of this post and its featured image? (hint) Again, answers in the comments box below!